PhD in Computer Science
- RMIT UniversitySchool of Science
Building 14, Level 9, Office 16414-418 Swanston St, Melbourne 3000, Australia
- Editorial Board Member of Information Processing & Management (IP&M)
- Editorial Board Member of Information
- Co-Guest Editor of the IP&M Special Issue on Processing Social Media in Real-Time
- Co-organizer of the Melbourne Search and Recommendation Meetup
- [NEW!] Co-organizer of CAIR’20 workshop at CHIIR’20
- Sponsorship Chair of WSDM’19
- Co-organizer of CAIR’18 workshop at SIGIR’18
- Co-organizer of the SIGDIAL 2018 special session on Conversational Approaches to Information Search, Retrieval and Presentation
- Local co-organizer of the 14th Workshop on Spoken Dialogue Systems for PhDs, PostDocs & New Researchers, co-located at SIGDIAL 2018
- Steering Committee Member of CAIR’17 workshop at SIGIR’17
- Co-organizer of RAMSS’13 workshop at WWW’13
- Co-organizer of RAMSS’12 workshop at ICWSM-12
- Offering Coordinator at RMIT: Case Studies in Data Science, Semester 2 2019.
- Offering Coordinator at RMIT: Software Engineering Fundamentals, Semester 1 2019.
- Offering Coordinator at RMIT: Legal, Ethical and Policy Issues in Data Science, Semester 2 2018.
- Co-lecturer at RMIT: Information Retrieval, Semester 1 2016, Semester 1 2017, Semester 1 2018.
- Co-supervision of PhD candidate Ameer Albahem, working on Dynamic Search Result Diversification (together with Lawrence Cavedon and Falk Scholer).
- Co-supervision of PhD candidate Manuel Steiner, working on Influences of Backstories on Queries with Multiple Intents in Task-Based Specialized Information Retrieval (together with Lawrence Cavedon and Falk Scholer).
Dr. Johanne R. Trippas, Spoken conversational search: audio-only interactive information retrieval (co-supervised with Lawrence Cavedon and Mark Sanderson)
Reviewing and Program Committees
- Reviewer for CS journals: https://publons.com/author/1176974/damiano-spina
- 2018 Best Reviewer Award for IP&M journal
- PC Member of ACL 2020
- PC Member of TheWebConf’20
- PC Member of CHIIR 2020
- PC Member of DESIRES2020
- PC Member of ADCS’19
- PC Member of KaRS’19 workshop at CIKM’19
- PC Member of SCAI workshop at IJCAI-19
- PC Member of CIKM’19
- PC Member of IMMM’19
- PC Member and Workshop PC Member of ICTIR’19
- PC Member of NewsIR workshop at SIGIR’19
- PC Member of FACTS-IR workshop at SIGIR’19
- PC Member of CAST’19 (Conversational AccesS to daTa) workshop at VLDB’19
- PC Member of RDSM’19 workshop at ICWSM-19
- PC Member of SIGIR’19
- PC Member of NAACL-HLT 2019
- PC Member of TI@WSDM19 workshop at WSDM 2019
- PC Member of CHIIR’19
- Mentor by invitation for WSDM’19 Doctoral Consortium
- PC Member of SCAI’18 workshop at EMNLP’18
- PC Member of RDSM’18 workshop at CIKM’18
- PC Member of CIKM’18
- PC Member of SIGIR’18
- PC Member of IMMM’18
- PC Member of CHIIR’18
- PC Member of 2nd NewsIR workshop and SoAPS workshop at ECIR’18
- Scientific Committee Member of LREC’18
- PC Member of WWW’18
- PC Member of CIKM’17
- PC Member of SoMePeAS workshop at ECIR’17
- PC Member of SIGIR’17 (full and short papers)
- Reviewer for COLING’16
- PC Member of SIGIR’16 (short papers)
- PC Member of NewsIR workshop at ECIR’16
- PC Member of SMNews 2016 workshop at ICWSM-16
- PC Member of RDSM’2015 workshop at WWW’15
- PC Member of SocialCom2014-Beijing
- PC Member of DIR’13 workshop
- Invited talk at SEEK (Melbourne, Australia), 2019.
- Invited talk at Tsinghua University (Beijing, China), 2018. SIGIR Beijing Chapter activity.
- Invited talk at UNED (Madrid, Spain), 2017.
- Invited talk at UMass Amherst (Massachusetts, USA), 2016.
- Invited talk at Queensland University of Technology, QUT (Brisbane, Australia), 2015.
- Invited talk at University of Melbourne (Melbourne, Australia), 2015.
- Invited talk at Universidad Complutense de Madrid, UCM (Madrid, Spain), 2014.